申请结果

这是一篇在 EssayAlpha 导师指导下完成的PS,该学生被以下项目同时录取:

哥大 - Master of Science in Operations Research
佐治亚理工 - Master of Science in Quantitative and Computational Finance
南加州大学 - Master of Science in Financial Engineering
帝国理工 - Master of Science in Risk Management&Financial Engineering
伊利诺伊大学香槟分校 - Master of Science in Financial Engineering

正文

Both my parents worked at commercial banks since I was a kid. I spent much of my childhood inside banks and this experience contributed to my original interest in finance. However, my parents never forced me to follow in their footsteps and instead allowed me to follow my heart. It wasn’t until high school that I heard about George Soros. “The man who broke the Bank of England” on “Black Wednesday”, and how Soros contributed to the “1997 Asian financial crisis” when he bet on the Thai Baht. These stories fascinated me, and I began to wonder how money can make such an astonishing difference to people’s lives. These stories changed my academic goals, and I decided to major in Finance at Nanjing University to learn more. My career goal is to work in financial trading and I now major in financial engineering to learn how financial markets move and behave. Since many funds are opening in China as the Chinese stock market becomes more mature, I believed that trading will help to grow China’s economy and it is my long-term goal to be a fund manager in China one day. To achieve this goal, I wish to pursue a M.S. degree in Financial Engineering at Columbia University, especially in the concentration in Computational Finance/Trading Systems since this is just about quantitative trading. I am keen to learn more about this field, and I believe Columbia will lead me to my future career goals.     

At university, I am studying a bachelor of science majoring in financial engineering. My career is to move into trading which requires strong mathematics and computer programming skills. To achieve this, I have excelled academically in mathematics, computer programming and finance with an overall 89.2/100 GPA for 3 consecutive years. Further, I ranked 1st in my final year and was awarded the National Scholarship by the Ministry of Education. In addition, to gain the necessary programming skills to complement for future career in trading, I have taken courses in C/C++, Matlab and SAS. My efforts saw me awarded the Chen-Ning Yang Scholarship for placing in the top 0.2% of students in Nanjing University (NJU). January this year, I obtained a precious opportunity to visit the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore as a student leader representing all students from Nanjing. At NUS, I audited courses in financial engineering like “Quality Engineering”. This experience motivated me expand my education abroad. I felt my undergraduate degree in financial engineering at NJU was a good introduction. But I want an in-depth education that explores tools of the trade and their use in modeling financial markets as well as how to implementing algorithms to price and trade them. I believe Columbia is the program that can help to achieve this. Columbia’s courses such as “Computational Methods in Derivatives Pricing” and “Algorithmic Trading” will help me make a smooth transition into financial trading.

Professionally, I have completed internships at Citibank and KSRC Bank. These experiences have furthered my interest to build a career in finance. At KSRC, I worked in the business development division. There I analyzed companies who want to take out loans with KSRC. I performed credit analysis, financial checks, analyzed individual companies and their ability to service their debt. This experience taught me how to assess business conditions, company’s financial position and risk management. I was able to apply my knowledge in finance, to real-life business practices and this was very exciting. It gave me a taste of life in a finance careers. I realized that theoretical knowledge is far different from the skills used in real-life finance. This has further motivated me to get a further my education to gain professional skills needed in finance.

In the community, I have taken on numerous leadership roles. I believe strong leadership skills are crucial for me to run my own fund one day. As the President of the Association of Science  San Zhang’s Personal Statement - applying for the MSFE program in Columbia University  &Technology at NJU in charge of 80 students, I held 8 different activities in 2011 to help enrich the student experience at NJU. They range from technical lectures, student forums, conferences and a foreign exchange trading contest by Boston Merchant Financial (BMFN) in China. At one conference I invited 4 top NJU alumni who have furthered their education abroad at top universities - Cornell, Stanford, MIT and LSE to share their experiences. This lecture helped many students confirm their goal to study abroad and pursue their career ambitions, including me! The faculty was so appreciative of my work, that I was awarded the Outstanding Student Cadre of Jiangsu Province by Provincial Ministry of Education - 1 of 800 students at NJU.

To enhance my research skills, I participated in a 1 year innovation project. The project’s focus was to research the phenomenon of household over-indebtness in Nanjing. We started by consulting academic papers and listed 20 factors that may impact debt on families. Then we designed a relational model using linear function model to explain these factors - average ages, income, expenses etc. We designed a questionnaire with 35 questions and loaded all the data into SPSS to determinate the coefficients of the factors. The analysis showed that some factors had little impact on debt, so we eliminated them down to 4 key factors - average age, education, loan rate and income. My core strengthen was displayed when our research hit a stumbling block. We needed to design a computational experiment to simulate the overall distribution of over-debt families in any given city across China. I proposed a plan that set each of 100,000 suppositional families in a certain city as a single unit, gave them a specific strategy according to the former model with 4 factors to decide their loan amounts. We also allowed the values to fluctuate in a suitable range in a normal distribution. They all agreed with my plan and I programmed the computational experiments using Matlab. Finally we achieved a meaningful result: We established a process that could be used to simulate the distribution of over-debt families of any given city in China. This project won us the first prize of the Li Xue Cup Student Papers Contest in the School of Management and Engineering.

My long-term career goal is to work as a fund manager, later start my own fund. I believe that successful funds will help to create much wealth for clients and society. And a remarkable fund can even have the power to change a nation’s economy and lead it to be more efficient and mature. However, trading is very complicated and demands high-level quantitative and computing skills. I need a master’s degree to strengthen my FE knowledge and I believe the MSFE program suits my career and personal goals perfectly. First, Columbia University located in Manhattan in New York City, which means I may have access to many top funds and obtain a strong theoretical and a practical foundation in financial trading. Further, the broad range of electives available in various schools interests me, as I can learn much in other aspects about financial trading or running a fund myself, such as “Corporate Law”. The Financial Engineering Practitioners Seminar would also enable me to hear firsthand about what happened in the world of trading and the newest trading theories. Columbia’s reputation as the top ranked FE program and university in the US means I will be getting the best education. After Columbia, I plan to work in a fund, and later return to China. Today, China is trying to build a strong, stable and mature financial market. I think in the future, my skills, education and experience would help my nation achieve this goal. I see Columbia as my educational foundation for my future career and as a business leader in China’s fund industry.

请勿抄袭,你能写得更好!

主题

精华

积分

新米人

积分
发表于 11-5-2018 07:24 AM | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

精华

积分